Spicy Hot Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe by Madam Kopi Oh
Have you been thinking of cooking up a simple and spicy meal soon? Kimchi fried rice is a great treat when you need some more spice in your life. In this article, you will learn how to cook a nice, tasty, spicy kimchi fried rice. This meal packs a punch of flavors. The best thing? You don’t need a lot of skill, time and effort to prepare it.
The key component to a delicious plate of kimchi fried rice is the kimchi. You want matured kimchi that’s flowing with kimchi juices. The juice is the secret to making a rich, aromatic kimchi fried rice. (You will want to separate the juice from the kimchi first in a bowl or any container.)
As an egg lover myself, I always try to add eggs into my meals. We will serve the kimchi fried rice with an sunny side up. Over easy is fine too if you want your egg to be more cooked. Scramble the egg if that’s what you like. Me, personally, I just like the yolk to mix with the rice and this adds a new depth of flavor.
- 150 grams of kimchi. Remove the kimchi from package, and chop it up.
- Squeeze some kimchi juice out. Collect 30 to 50 grams of kimchi juice if possible
- 1 tablespoon of red chili paste
- Some soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of Sinolin cooking oil
- 500 grams of rice
- Some finely chopped scallion
- 2 eggs
- Remove your kimchi from its packaging. Your favourite brand of kimchi will do nicely. I prefer matured kimchi.
- Squeeze out as much kimchi juice from the kimchi as you can into a cup or bowl.
- Add some red chili paste and soy sauce into the kimchi juice. Stir the juice well with a spoon.
- Add some Sinolin cooking oil into the rice. You need the oil to moisturize the rice and prevent clumping.
- Add some Sinolin cooking oil into a frying pan, and set to heat to high. Once the pan has reached the optimal temperature (hot), add in your chopped kimchi. Stir fry until the kimchi becomes brown and releases a nice, fragrant aroma.
- Add the rice into the frying pan and stir well with a cooking spoon or spatula. Use strong heat and stir fry the rice. You will want to continue stirring the rice until it becomes brownish and less sticky.
- Remove the rice from the pan and serve on a plate. Add some scallions on top.
- The last step is to add an egg to your fried rice. Sunny-side up or scrambled is fine and totally up to your preference.