Barley with Pomegranate Cereal by Dapur Sinolin
A healthy, colorful breakfast to start your morning.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 10ml Sinolin cooking oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 turnips, cut into chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 200 grams of pearl barley
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp ofsugar
- Vegetable stock
- 2 green onions
- 1 celery
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Pomegranate seeds, to be served
- ½ cup of SINOLIN oil
- 100 grams of sesame seeds
- 160 gram of yoghurt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions, garlic, salt and sugar. Cook for 5 minutes until it starts to soften and gently stir. Add sweet potato, turnips, barley, carrots, lemon juice, salt, sugar and water. Stir gently and bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Add turmeric powder, cook until the barley is soft.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until the vegetables and barley are coated with spices. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
How to make Tahini:
- Rinse raw sesame seeds in a fine sieve. Shake and let drip until dry. (if you feel that the sesame seeds are clean enough, you can skip this step though.
- Place the sesame seeds on a baking sheet. Put it into the oven.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes at 170ºC. Often flip sesame seeds to prevent them from burning. Sesame seeds are ready for use when the color turns to a light brown color evenly.
- Remove from the oven andcool down completely.
- Put the sesame seeds into the food processor. Pour one-quarter cup of oil into the food processor.
- Puree at full speed for 2 to 3 minutes. Stop this process for some time to repress the non-moving seeds into the other seed mixture to smooth. (Use a spatula to suppress it).
- Pour the remaining oil (if necessary). Puree again for 2 to 3 minutes, fixed while making sure all sesame seeds are smooth.
In a plate, serve vegetable barley and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and celery leaves, and do not forget the tahini that you already made before. Enjoy