Asian Style Tempura Fish and Chips
Fancy a slightly more daring fish supper? Give your saturday night a fish and chips, an Asian twist with tempura-battered cod and a spicy wasabi tartare sauce!
- 100g white miso paste
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2-3 cod fillets (about 350g), bones and skin removed
- 100g Radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 2 large sweet potatoes, skin on, cut into chunky chips
- Sinolin Cooking oil, for deep-frying
- ½ lime, cut into wedges, to serve
For the tempura batter :
- 140g plain flour, plus 100g/4oz extra for coating
- 100g cornflour
- 200ml soda water
For the wasabi tartare sauce
- 140g mayonnaise
- 1 tsp wasabi
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
- ¼ small pack coriander, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the miso paste with 1 tbsp vinegar and 1 tsp sugar to make a marinade. Put the cod fillets in the marinade before and turn over so they are evenly coated. Cover with cling film and chill for 1 hr.
- To make a radish pickle, put the radishes in a small bowl with the black sesame seeds, the remaining vinegar and sugar, and a pinch of salt. Leave to pickle for at least 30 mins.
- For the wasabi tartare sauce, combine all the ingredients and season well. Set aside or chill in the fridge until needed.
- Meanwhile, put the sweet potato chips in a large saucepan filled with cold salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 7-8 mins until slightly tender. Drain and leave to steam-dry for 2 mins.
- Fill a large saucepan with the Sinolin cooking oil until two-thirds full. Place over a medium-high heat until the oil reaches 180C on. Meanwhile, make the tempura batter by combining the flours and gradually whisking in the soda water. Whisk until the batter is lump-free, then chill until needed.
- Once the oil has boil up, fry the sweet potato chips in batches until golden and cooked through, about 5 mins. Transfer to a baking sheet, season with salt and place in a low temperature oven to keep warm while you fry the fish.
- Tip some seasoned flour onto a plate and dip the cod fillets in it, patting off any excess. Dip into the batter and fry in the same oil as the chips for 3-4 mins, until the batter is golden and the fish is cooked. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve the cod with the chips, wasabi tartare, pickled radishes and lime for squeezing over.