Broccoli Cheese Soup By Dapur Sinolin
- 1 tablespoon Sinolin cooking oil
- 1⁄2 medium chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lb fresh broccoli (chopped into bite size pieces)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- crusty bread or bread bowl
- 2 cups whole milk
- Sauté onion in oil. Set aside.
- Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until you see a noticeable golden brown color in your pan.
- Slowly add in the chicken stock and whisk again to combine. Simmer contents covered (stirring occasionally) for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and the sauteed onions, into the pot. Stir, add the milk and half & half. Cook covered over low heat 20-25 minutes but do not bring to a boil. This may cause the milk to curdle.
- Add salt, pepper & nutmeg. Note: you can purée half of your soup in a blender or with a handheld immersion blender if you choose however it isn’t a requirement. Continue to cook the soup on low heat and slowly add the grated cheese a handful at a time and stir to avoid clumps. Once all the cheese has been added is melted, remove from heat, and serve immediately. Suggestion: serve with crusty bread or in a breadbowl.
- Refrigerate leftovers after they have cooled and store in a airtight container up to 5 days in the refrigerator.