Easy Chicken & Dumplings By Dapur Sinolin
FOR THE SOUP
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 c. heavy cream
- Freshly chopped parsley, for serving
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Make soup: In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until tender, 5 minutes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add broth, chicken, and thyme to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- While soup is simmering, make dumplings: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the flour and add egg, buttermilk, and melted butter and whisk with a fork until combined.
- Add shredded chicken and heavy cream to pot, then return to a simmer. Drop spoonfuls of dumpling mix into pot, cover and cook on low until dumplings are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.