Grilled Eggplant Parmesan By Dapur Sinolin
- 150 ml Sinolin cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup + 2 T thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 1/3 cup shredded Italian cheese mix (I mixed mozzarella and fresh Romano)
- 2 T Italian style breadcrumbs (or almond meal to make it gluten-free)
- 2 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the oil in a small bowl and stir in the garlic. Let it sit for a few minutes to infuse while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the tomatoes in a shallow bowl and drizzle with 2 T of the garlic oil. Sprinkle the basil over top.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cheese mix and the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat your grill (or stove-top grillpan) to medium heat. Brush one side of the eggplant slices with remaining garlic oil and place them on the hot grill. Grill for 3-5 minutes, then flips, brushing the other side with the remaining oil. If you have a grill: Add a few of the sliced tomatoes and a pinch or two of the cheese mixture to each eggplant slice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and cover. Grill until tomatoes and eggplant are tender and the cheese is melted about 7 minutes.
- Transfer eggplant slices to plates and serve. If you’re using a stove-top grill pan: After you flip the eggplant slices over, cook them for another 5 minutes or until they are completely tender, but not mushy. Meanwhile, preheat your oven broiler. When the eggplant is cooked, transfer the slices to a baking sheet and top with tomatoes, cheese mixture, and Parmesan. Broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tomatoes are tender.