Root Vegetable By Dapur Sinolin
This is a stunning side dish to serve company. The robust blend features earthy root vegetables in a lightly herbed cream sauce. It’s a perfect make-ahead dish for special occasions.
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 large carrots
- 2 medium turnips, peeled
- 1 large onion, halved
- 1 medium fennel bulb, fronds reserved
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, plus more for topping
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. With a mandoline or vegetable peeler, cut the first five ingredients into very thin slices. Transfer to a large bowl; toss with flour. Stir in the cream, thyme, 1 tablespoon rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Place half of the vegetable mixture into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining vegetable mixture. Place pan on a baking sheet and cover with a double thickness of foil.
- Bake until vegetables are tender and easily pierced with a knife, 1-3/4 to 2 hours. Remove from oven and top foil with large canned goods as weights. Let stand 1 hour. Remove cans, foil and rim from pan before cutting. Top with remaining cheese. Add reserved fennel fronds and, as desired, additional fresh thyme and pepper. Refrigerate leftovers.