Lentil Tomato Curry by Dapur Sinolin
This recipe calls for medium curry powder, but it’s flexible. If the one you have is mild or very spicy, adjust the heat level with more, or less red pepper flakes.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chile pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Oil, or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 11/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 cups French lentils
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, or fresh lime juice
- Coconut milk
- Salt, To Taste
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion, chili pepper, garlic and ginger until onion softens. Add curry powder and cook 1 more minute. Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Transfer to blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to saucepan and mix in French lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are cooked through, about 25 minutes. Add more broth if needed.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar and coconut milk to taste. Adjust salt and maple syrup if desired.