Money Bag Dumplings and Cabbage by Dapur Sinolin
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
Total Time:40 minutes
- 4 rice wrappers
- 8 napa cabbage leaves (blanched in boiling water for 1 minute)
- 12 green onions (blanched in boiling water for 20 seconds)
- 6 cups chicken stock for soup seasoned to taste (1440ml)
- A few drops sesame oil to serve
- Dumpling sauce to serve
- 12 oz beef (340g)
- 4 Chinese mushrooms (soaked, rinsed, and chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (finely chopped)
- 2 green onions (finely sliced)
- 2 tbsp Shao Hsing cooking wine
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 16 medium shrimps (cut into 4 pieces each) (6 oz/170g)
- Mix all filling ingredients, except shrimp in a bowl. Allow it to marinate for 30 minutes.
Money Bag Dumplings
- Divide filling into 4 equal portions.
- Fill a large shallow bowl with warm water. Dip one rice wrapper into warm water and remove quickly. Lay wrapper on a lightly oiled dinner plate or cutting board. Rice wrapper will soften.
- Place a portion of filling onto dampened rice wrapper. Top with 8 tiny pieces of shrimps (equivalent to 2 shrimps).
- Gather edge of wrapper up around the filling. Tie with blanched green onion.
- Place onto a lightly oiled shallow bowl or casserole dish. Repeat with the other 3 portions of filling.
- Divide filling into 8 equal portions.
- Place a portion of filling onto the white edge of a blanched Napa cabbage. Top with 4 tiny pieces of shrimps (equivalent to 1 shrimp).
- Roll cabbage around the filling like a jelly roll. Tie with blanched green onion.
- Place onto a shallow bowl or casserole dish. Repeat with the other 7 portions of filling.
Steam Money Bag Dumplings and Cabbage Rolls
- Fill a large pot with about an inch of water. Place a rack at the base of the pot. Bring water to a boil.
- Place dish with dumplings or cabbage rolls on rack. Cover and steam for 10 minutes.
- Gently transfer one dumpling or two cabbage rolls with a large serving spoon into individual bowls. Ladle some soup into bowls about half way up the sides of dumplings or cabbage rolls. Add a few drops of sesame oil.
- Serve hot with dumpling sauce or soy sauce.