Eight Treasure Rice Pudding Chinese New Year Dish by Dapur Sinolin
Prep Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 3 people
- 1 handful sugar glazed cherries
- 1 handful black raisins
- 1 handful yellow raisins
- 1 handful sugar lotus seeds available in Chinese supermarkets
- 1 dried apricot
- 2 cups round glutinous rice
- 100 g red bean paste available in Chinese supermarkets
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients for sugar syrup
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp potato starch water (1/2 tsp potato starch with 1 tbsp water, mix evenly)
- 2 drops rose or any kind of flower essence **
- Soak round glutinous rice in cold water for 1 hour at least. Cook it in a rice cooker or steamer. Mix the cooked rice with sunflower oil and salt when it’s still hot.
- Brush some oil on a medium size bowl and cut the sugar glazed cherry in half. Place the dried fruits and sugar glazed cherries as shown in the photos.
- Put half of the cooked glutinous rice in the bowl and press down a little bit then put 100g red bean paste in the middle.
- Use a little bit of glutinous rice to cover the red bean paste and place the sugar lotus seeds and sugar glazed cherries around the bowl.
- Put all of the glutinous rice in the bowl and press down. Steam for 30 minutes.
- Use a small pot to boil all the ingredients for the sugar syrup. Stir in potato starch water to thicken the syrup.
- Flip the rice pudding on a plate and brush sugar syrup on top. Ready to serve.