Courgette, Feta Tartlets with Cheese By Dapur Sinolin
Cooks in: 20-25 minutes Serves:6 as a snack
For the Pastry
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil, for brushing the pastry
- Pastry brush
- 1 large oblong loose-bottomed tart tin (approx 30cm x 10cm)
- Alternatively, use 1 x 400g roll ready-made shortcrust pastry
For the Filling
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups grated fresh courgettes (baby marrows) – about 10 medium sized
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g feta cheese, roughly crumbled
- 100g goats cheese, roughly crumbled
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes until soft, add in the garlic and fry for another minute. Add the courgettes and fry for a further 2–3 minutes. Remove from the heat, tip into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While the filling cools, lightly brush your tart tin lightly with olive oil. Then lay out one sheet of phyllo pastry, and brush with olive oil, covering the remaining sheets with a damp kitchen towel while you work.
- Continue until you have 4 layers, then trim the edges with kitchen scissors.
- To your mixing bowl with the onions and courgettes, add the the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and then crumble in the cheese and mix well to combine. Then pour gently into the pastry case.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set and a light golden brown.
- Allow the tart to cool before removing it from the tart tin.
Play around with fillings, try roasted butternut, bacon, leeks, etc.
Serve with extra fresh mint and toasted pine nuts if you like.