Southwest Egg Rolls with Avocado Sauce By Dapur Sinolin
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
Yield: 10 halves
- 1 tablespoon Sinolin cooking oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts,cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeños
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 8-inch flour tortillas
- Sinolin cooking oil, for frying
Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup smashed, fresh avocado (about half of an avocado)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- dash of dried dill weed
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of pepper
For the Egg Rolls:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked thorough. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook for another 3 minutes, until the vegetables are just softened.
- Add the corn, black beans, spinach, jalapenos, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook the mixture for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Wrap the tortillas in a clean, lightly moist cloth. Microwave on high for approximately 1 minute, until soft and pliable.
- Spoon equal amounts of the mixture into each tortilla. Fold in the ends, then roll tightly around the mixture. Secure with toothpicks, if needed. Place the egg rolls in a dish or on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, then refrigerate until cold. (I think they are best when they are refrigerated for 24 hours.)
- When ready to cook, place a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Heat about 1-inch of vegetable oil in a heavy skillet until about 350º. Working in batches, cook the egg rolls until browned on each side, then transfer to the cooling rack. When all of the egg rolls are fried, transfer them to the oven to bake for about 15 minutes, until heated through.
- Alternately, you can just bake these – spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray then bake until warmed through and the tortillas are crispy 20-25 minutes.
- Cut each egg roll in half and serve with the Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce.
For the Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce:
- Combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Keep refrigerated.
Recipe Notes: Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline. Nutrition information does not include vegetable oil for frying.