Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos Recipe By Dapur Sinolin
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Be sure to let the sweet potatoes roast for the full 30 minutes: as they cook, they will first get quite soft, then they will slowly crisp as their sides puff up and the edges brown.
For the roasted sweet potatoes:
- 1 to 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups cubed)
- 2 tablespoons neutral cooking oil (such as grapeseed or canola)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
For the beans:
- 2 tablespoons neutral Sinolin cooking oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Apple cider vinegar or water, as needed
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa verde, homemade or store-bought
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced thin
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Lime wedges
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Roast the sweet potatoes: In a medium-sized bowl, toss the sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons oil, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Spread on a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake 15 minutes, then use a spatula to flip and stir the sweet potatoes. Roast another 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes have puffed up and have crisp, roasted edges.
- Make the black beans: While the sweet potatoes roast, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sauté until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño, and sauté 2 minutes more. Fold in beans.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are soft and seasoned, about 10 to 15 minutes. If beans seem dry or bottom of the pan starts to sizzle, add a splash of apple cider vinegar or water as needed. Taste and add salt as needed. Warm the tortillas: Briefly heat the tortillas one or two at a time in a dry skillet until warm. Transfer to a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm. Alternatively, warm a stack of 5 or fewer tortillas a time in the microwave, covered with a damp paper towel, in 30-second bursts until warmed through.
- Serve the tacos: Layer tacos with sweet potatoes and black beans. Serve with avocado slices, salsa, minced cilantro, and cotija cheese, letting everyone top their own tacos.