Pan-Fried Vegetable Buns By Dapur Sinolin
For the dough
- 13/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 21/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2/3 cup warm non-dairy milk
For the filling
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger, thinly sliced, plus more minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 7-8 mushrooms, soaked until soft and thinly sliced
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons stir fry sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chopped kale
- pinch white pepper
- Sesame oil
- Scallions, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- Make the dough: Mix flour, yeast and sugar in a bowl, then add the wet ingredients. Using a dough hook, knead the mixture until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a floured surface, and knead for 4-5 minutes until you see a smooth top. Let the dough rest in a bowl for 30 minutes, covered.
- Make the filling: Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan. Sauté sliced ginger, mushrooms and garlic until fragrant. Add cabbage, soy sauce, stir fry sauce and sugar and cook for 2 minutes and spoon mixture into a bowl. Continue to sauté kale with a little oil and salt, then add to cabbage mixture along with chopped scallions, minced ginger, carrot and drizzle of sesame oil.
- To make the buns, turn dough onto a floured surface and roll into a log. Divide log into 20-25 pieces and roll each one into a ball. Take 1 ball of dough and flatten it slightly with your palm,. With a rolling pin, roll it out to a 3-inch circle, thicker in the middle. Place a heaping tablespoon of filing and pleat dough to seal.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a pan. Place buns sealed side down and pan fry for 30 seconds until the bottom turns light brown. Slowly add in hot water to cover about 1/3 of the buns, cover the pan and turn heat to medium-low. Cook until all water is absorbed.