Thai Coconut Soup with Sweet Potato By Dapur Sinolin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes, peeled, 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup diced pears, Bartlett, 1/4 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock, divided, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- kosher salt, as needed for seasoning
- black pepper, as needed for seasoning
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil, once hot add the garlic, ginger and lemongrass, saute until fragrant but not browned, 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potatoes and pears to the pan. Turn heat to medium-high and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add red curry, coconut milk and 1/2 cup vegetable stock to the pan, stir to combine and dissolve the curry in the liquid. Once the liquid starts to boil, reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Cover and cook soup until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add sweet potato soup, 1/2 cup vegetable stock, and fish sauce to a blender. On medium-high speed, process until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add more vegetable stock if desired to adjust the thickness of the soup, processing in 30-second intervals.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve soup hot with toppings is desired (see notes section).