Lamb with Indian spices and chickpea salad By Dapur Sinolin
Lamb backstraps are given an international twist in this crunchy, colourful salad that’s so easy to make.
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Sinolin cooking oil, plus extra for cooking
- 1/3 cup (80g) Yoghurt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 (280g each) lamb backstraps
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 egg tomatoes, seeded, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 cup (50g) mizuna* or baby rocket
- 1/3 cup small coriander leaves
- Combine yoghurt, garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Rub spice mixture over lamb, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook drained chickpeas in a saucepan of boiling water for 1 1/4 hours or until tender. Drain. Toss warm chickpeas with Sinolin oil, onion, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat a char-grill pan over medium-high heat. Rub lamb generously with extra oil, then cook for 3 minutes each side. Rest lamb for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, cucumber, mizuna and coriander to salad and toss to combine. Cut lamb diagonally into thin slices, then layer with salad in bowls. Serve immediately.