Snowball Cookies By Dapur Sinolin
PREP: 45 MINS
COOK: 45 MINS
- 1 ½ cups pecans divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (10 oz / 280 g)
- ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to 60 to 65ºF (8 oz / 250 g)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (2.3 oz / 65 g)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (6 oz / 170 g)
- Set the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 325ºF (160°C).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Toast the pecans in the oven on a small baking sheet for 6 minutes, stirring the nuts halfway through. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the pecans to a food processor and pulse about 15 times, until a finely ground texture is achieved. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of pecans to the food processor and pulse and 3 to 5 times, until roughly chopped. Add to the finely ground pecans.
- Add flour and salt to the pecans, stir to combine.
- Cream the softened butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, or stand mixer on the medium speed, 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl halfway through creaming.
- Add vanilla and mix on low speed until incorporated, 30 seconds.
- Add the nut mixture and combine on the lowest speed until just incorporated and dough comes together about 30 seconds.
- Measure the dough into leveled 1 tablespoon portions. Roll into a ball and place 1-inch apart on the baking sheets, they should be about 1-inch in diameter. Bake 20 cookies per pan.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time until the light golden in color and the bottoms are browned about 18 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through baking.
- Cool the cookies on the pan for 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar to a shallow bowl. Roll the cookies in the powdered sugar while still warm until completely coated, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Once the cookies are cooled, roll them in the powdered sugar for a second coat or sprinkle on top with more sugar, shaking off any excess. This can be done right before serving for the most attractive appearance.