Lighter Sesame Chicken By Dapur Sinolin
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sinolin cooking oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- Red pepper flakes, for topping (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice, water, and 1/2 tsp salt. Let mixture come to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover. Let simmer until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is nice and fluffy, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, sesame seeds, sesame oil and garlic and stir together.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites and cornstarch. Add in cubed chicken 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper and toss to completely coat chicken.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat and add the chicken. Cook for about 8 minutes, until it’s cooked through and golden.
- Add the sauce and scallions to the skillet and toss to make sure the chicken is coated with the sauce.
- While chicken is cooking, heat a large pot of water and remaining tsp salt until boiling. Add broccoli florets to pot and cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes until bright green and tender. Drain into a colander.
- Serve chicken and broccoli over rice. Make sure to pour on any sauce left in the pan and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired.