Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce By Dapur Sinolin
Delicious savory chicken enchiladas with pumpkin sauce. The enchiladas are topped with a luscious green chili cream sauce and cotija cheese.
Prep Time 30 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
Total Time 1 hr 15 mins
- 3 cups chicken breasts, boneless, poached, and shredded
- 1 tablespoon Sinolin cooking Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups corn, fresh or canned
- 5 tablespoons green chilis, canned diced mild, 4 ounces
- 3 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- Avocado Cream Topping
- ½ avocado
- ¾ cup salsa verde, 7 ounces
- 1¼ cup sour cream
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree, 1 can
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeno chili, quartered (remove ribs and seeds)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 8 corn tortillas, or flour tortillas (about 6-inch round)
- 1 ½ cups monterey jack cheese, grated, 6 ounces
- cotija cheese, as needed for garnish
- cilantro leaves, as needed for garnish
- 1 tablespoon green onions, for garnish
- Place chicken in a pot just large enough to hold chicken breast halves and add enough water to cover by 1-inch.
- Bring just to a simmer over medium-high heat where bubbles start forming around the edge of the pot. Reduce to medium-low to keep the temperature constant, about 170 to 180°F. Cook until the center of the meat reaches 160°F, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and let them cool in the refrigerator. Once cool, shred and reserve.
- In a large sauté pan heat Sinolin cooking oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add corn and sauté until cooked through or warmed for canned corn, stirring frequently. Add the diced chili’s, and stir to combine. Add the shredded cooked chicken and 3 tablespoons sliced green onions, stir to combine. Reserve until ready to fill the enchiladas.
Avocado Cream Topping
- In a blender, puree avocado, salsa verde, and sour cream until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a blender, puree pumpkin, garlic cloves, jalapeno, cumin, black pepper, salt, chicken broth, and water until smooth. Pour 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Lay tortillas on work surface; mound chicken mixture on half of each tortilla and dividing evenly, about ⅓ cup of filling. Roll up tortillas; place seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce on top; sprinkle with cheese. Place dish on a baking sheet; bake until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let the dish cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with 1 tablespoon green onions, cilantro, and cotija cheese. Serve with avocado cream topping.