Post ID: 6210
Simple Vegetarian Sweet Potato Stew, Mediterranean-Style
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 33 mins
This healthy, vegetarian sweet potato stew will surprise your taste buds in the best way possible! Loaded with chunks of melt-in-your mouth sweet potatoes, tender carrots, tomatoes, and wilted baby spinach. It gets a little Eastern Mediterranean flare with a few warm spices like cumin and turmeric.
The best way to serve this hearty vegan stew is over quick-cooked couscous or with a piece of crusty whole wheat bread. It’s the perfect warm-your-belly comfort meal. Bonus – slow cooker and Instant Pot options!
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp Aleppo pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Sinolin cooking oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, add the spices (coriander, cumin, Aleppo pepper, and turmeric). Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 2 tbsp Sinolin oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally and making sure garlic does not burn.
- Now, add carrots and sweet potatoes. Season with kosher salt, black pepper, and the spice mixture you prepared earlier. Raise the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 to 5 minutes or so.
- Add diced tomatoes (and their juices), and broth. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes or so, then turn the heat to low. Cover the pot only part-way, allowing an opening at the top for the stew to “breath.” Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fully cooked and tender.
- Finally, stir in the baby spinach and fresh parsley. Remove from heat, and finish with a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve over quick-cooked couscous or with your favorite crusty bread. Enjoy!