Ginger Chicken with Almonds | Dapur Sinolin
Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 15 mins
Total time 30 mins
Delicious ginger chicken! Chicken strips, marinated in coriander and ginger, stir-fried with scallions and ginger, served mixed with mango chutney and topped with toasted almonds.
Including a little cornstarch in the chicken marinade is traditional in many asian dishes. The cornstarch helps keep the chicken pieces from drying out when cooked. You can skip it if you want, but the chicken will be more tender if you use it.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 – 2 pounds total)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger plus ¼ cup julienned fresh ginger (see How to Peel, Chop, and Grate Ginger)
- 4 teaspoons Sinolin cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 large scallions (or 6 small), trimmed
- 1/2 cup mango chutney, large pieces chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Slice chicken crosswise:
into 1⁄2-inch-thick pieces.
Marinate chicken strips:
Whisk the ground coriander, grated ginger, 2 teaspoons of the oil, vinegar, corn starch, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, making sure there are no lumps of corn starch.
Add the chicken and marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Thinly slice white parts of scallions. Julienne green parts; set aside.
Stir together chutney, broth, and garlic in a small bowl.
Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites and julienned ginger; stir-fry 30 seconds.
Add chicken and stir-fry until thoroughly cooked, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add scallion greens and chutney mixture; cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
Transfer to shallow bowls with hot cooked rice (or without rice, for low-carb version). Sprinkle with toasted almond slices and serve.