Crispy Baked Tofu with Peanut Dipping Sauce By Dapur Sinolin
Tasty marinated tofu baked until crispy on the outside and creamy and soft in the inside. This tofu recipe is simple, quick and a great vegan protein addition to any meal. Serve it with mouthwatering creamy Peanut Dipping Sauce for the perfect vegetarian party appetizer!
prep: 20 minutes
if pressing the tofu: 10 minutes
cook: 30 minutes
total time1 hour
- 1 block (12-15 ounces) Organic Firm or Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use tamari if following a gluten free diet)
- 1 tablespoon Sinolin cooking oil
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- For the Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- sesame seeds (optional)
- chopped peanuts (optional)
- To Make the Peanut Dipping Sauce
- In a small bowl mix all the dipping sauce ingredients until well combined. Garnish with sesame seeds and/or chopped peanuts (optional).
- To Make the Baked Tofu
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the tofu and gently press it to squeeze out as much moisture as possible. I use a small cutting board topped with a couple of cans and let it sit for no longer than 10 minutes. Tofu is delicate so be gentle.
- You can also press it with the palms of your hands if you prefer or if you are short in time.
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels or a kitchen towel and cut it into thirds lengthwise. You will have 3 even slabs. Cut the slabs into cubes. You will get 5 cubes per slab.
- Transfer the tofu to a medium size bowl and season it with the garlic powder, dried ginger, soy sauce (or tamari), vegetable oil and sesame oil. Gently mix to combine. Marinate the tofu for 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and place the tofu cubes on a plate or platter. This will help get rid of any excess marinade (liquid). The tofu doesn’t need to be completely dry.
- Place the cornstarch (or arrowroot) in a zip top bag. Working in batches, transfer the tofu to the bag and toss to coat.
- Arrange the coated tofu in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the tofu is golden brown, flipping once halfway through the baking process.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with the Peanut Dipping Sauce or use as desired.