Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Kale | Dapur Sinolin
This Sausage and Kale Orecchiette is a great weeknight meal. It uses just a few ingredients and can be made quickly. Great for kids, too!
Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Kale
prep time 10 mins
cook time 20 mins
total time 30 mins
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 14-16 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large bunch purple or Tuscan kale, de-stemmed and leaves chopped
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup salted pasta water
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Salt, to taste
- For the Crispy Parmesan Breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. In a small bowl, toss together breadcrumbs, parmesan, and red pepper flakes to avoid any huge parmesan clumps. Pour into skillet and stir to coat with butter. Cook for 3-4 minutes, tossing occasionally, until browned. Set aside until ready to eat.
- Fill a large pot with water and set it over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of kosher salt (or 2 teaspoons table salt) per quart of water. The water should taste seasoned, but not seawater-salty. It’s important to get the salt level right in the water because we will be using it to finish the dish.
- When the water is boiling, add the pasta and stir it rapidly to separate the pasta, since orecchiette has a tendency to stick together. Cook until al dente, probably 9-11 minutes. Scoop out a cup of the pasta water (don’t forget!), then drain and rinse the pasta to stop the cooking.
- Orechiette pasta funny ears pasta
- While the pasta cooks, add the Italian sausage in small chunks to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, letting the sausage render out fat, for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is cooked through.
- At this point, there should be enough fat from the sausage in the skillet, but if your skillet is very dry, add a drizzle of olive oil before the next ingredients go in.
- Brown sausage for Sausage and Kale Skillet Dinner recipe
- Add the chopped kale, shallot, and garlic to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Kale in pan for Sausage and Kale Skillet Dinner
- Add the cooked orecchiette, 1/2 cup pasta water, and lemon juice to the skillet. Toss to combine and heat until the pasta water thickens to form a light sauce. If the pasta seems dry, add more pasta water.
- Serve pasta in shallow bowls garnished with crispy breadcrumb topper.
- Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Kale recipe
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 5-6 days. Reheat in the microwave with a splash of water or over the stove in a skillet on medium-high heat.