CHINESE MEAT ROLLS 五香肉卷 by Dapur Sinolin
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:18 minutes
Total Time:33 minutes
Course: Appetizer, Snack
- 2.5 pieces beancurd sheets
- 500gr beef
- 1.88 tsp five-spice powder
- 1.25 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.25 tsp sesame oil
- 0.31 tsp ground pepper
- 0.63 tsp salt
- 1.25 tsp sugar
- 1.25 egg (lightly beaten)
- 2.5 tbsp vegetable oil for pan frying
- Egg white (lightly beaten for sealing meat rolls)
- 2.5 green onions (finely sliced)
- 1.25 small carrot (peeled and minced)
- 5 water chestnuts (peeled and minced)
- Combine minced pork, five-spice powder, soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Cut beancurd sheets into four 9-inch squares. Set aside. Bring minced pork mixture out of the refrigerator. Add egg and mixed-ins** and blend until combined.
- Divide meat into 4 portions. Shape meat into a log. Place each portion of meat diagonally onto beancurd sheet.
- Bring a corner of the beancurd sheet over meat. Fold in the sides and roll neatly till the end. Seal with a little egg white.
- Line a steaming rack with lettuce or cabbage. Place rolls in the rack and steam for 12 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove and prick rolls with a skewer to prevent air bubbles from forming when frying. Pat dry rolls with paper towels.
- Heat a non-stick pan with vegetable oil. Pan fry rolls on all sides till golden brown. This should take about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels. Alternatively, you can deep fry rolls without steaming.
- Slice rolls on a diagonal and serve with your favorite sweet chili sauce.